Dear Brothers and Concelebrants,
All the blessings of the fast!
As we are now well into the rhythm of our Lenten struggle (but not yet too near to Holy Week and Pascha), I ask you give a bit of attention to our 2016 DOS Assembly which will be held at St Basil's Mission in Wilmington, NC.
Now is the time to register you and your delegates, and to encourage your faithful to come to participate in the assembly.
We are more and more attempting to make this yearly gathering not simply a "business meeting" (as important as that is), but a time where the faithful (adults and youth) of the Diocese of the South can come together for fellowship, mutual encouragement in the faith, and participation in the greater work and mission of the diocese and the church.
Please take time to read that announcement appended below the signature block, and be sure to share this with your parish.
in Christ and with the fast,
VRev Fr Marcus C Burch | Chancellor
Diocese of the South | Orthodox Church in America
701 Augusta Arbor Way | Piedmont, SC 29673
Phone: (864) 299 1140 | firstname.lastname@example.org
www.dosoca.org | www.oca.org
(Please share with your parishioners through your church bulletin and website)
* * * * *
The new DOS Assembly Website is Live at dosconferences.com!
Building on the theme of Expanding the Mission from last year's All-American Conference, our theme this year is Mission Possible: Making Faith Significant in an age of Religious Irrelevance, and our keynote speaker will be Sister Vassa (Larin), world renowned expert in liturgical theology, and host of the popular YouTube Channel, "Coffee with Sister Vassa."
As announced previously, the 2016 Assembly of the DOS will be held in Wilmington, NC, and hosted by St. Basil Mission. There are many positive changes this year, and there are many reasons to begin making plans now:
- There are many events that your parishioners will enjoy attending - the events of the week (along with the historic, coastal location) makes this an ideal vacation. Encourage as many of your parishioners to attend as possible!
- Registration will be online at the dedicated conference site: http://www.dosconferences.com/
- There is travel and planning information online.
- Hotel reservations are open now - book soon so that we know if we need to seek another hotel for overflow rooms.
- There will be childcare provided during two major events, and a list of drop-in childcare options will be provided for other times when it might be needed.
- There will be a large exhibitor hall with SVS Press books, devotional items, liturgical goods and more for sale - send your bookstore stewards prepared to stock up!
- Ministries such as YES and the OCMC will be on hand to help parishes learn about ministry and mission opportunities.
Please use the registration section at the bottom of the main page, and read the instructions carefully! There are many things to register for, and this is intended to facilitate the laity picking their events a la carte.
The DOS Youth Conference:
The youth conference, which will run concurrently with the assembly, and it will be an amazing week for the young people in our diocese!
- We are bringing in two staff members from Youth Equipped to Serve (YES), part of FOCUS North America, to lead the older group (13-18) in an immersive ministry event. There will also be an event for the 7-12 year olds during this time.
- Lots of time to laugh, play and have fun at the beach!
- Our retreat master is Father John Cox, who will help the youth to apply what they learn during the week.
- More details will be added to the Youth Conference section of the conference website.
- Registration is FREE (but you have to register on the main conference page by June 15).
We hope that you will take Father Gerasim's admonition to use this conference as a time to draw our parishes, families and youth into broader work of the diocese and the Church. Please register soon so that the host committee can adequately prepare for the event.
Should you have any questions at all about registration, schedule, et al, feel free to contact Fr Peter Robichau at email@example.com